15 June 2008

June #11

"I am" Poem

I am at my best alone,
free alone,
at peace alone,
my thought and worries
pushed away, ignored,
as I enjoy alone, revel alone.
Alone I have no secrets
that I cannot discover;
alone, I have no lies
that I am not fully aware of.
I can be anything when I am alone,
I can realize the power,
the potential,
of any fleeting foolish dream.
I am uninhibited,
unbound, released alone,
not influenced by anything
except me.
I am at my best alone.

Yet there are limitations
to this selfish meditation
and this admittedly freeing solitude.
Hermits have no place in the world,
make no difference in the world,
learn nothing and can teach nothing to the world.
Alone, one can be...lonely.
Alone, one cannot act or take action,
cannot influence,
cannot experience.
It is better to be burdened
- if you can call life a burden -
with society, interaction, interest,
friends, family, husband, child,
that to be so entirely alone.
I am at my best alone,
but I will forsake my best
for the chance of life and love.

No comments: