21 April 2008

April #22

My father and I are unlike.
I believe in the greater good,
trust in humanity,
have changed from pessimistic views.
I will give second chances,
and third changes,
and possibly even fourth,
if I love deeply enough,
if I have not been wounded enough.
I will break my heart for the world,
and I will care too much.
My father wants to protect my precocious soul,
banning me from hurt
by banning me from people.
He loves me,
and so does not act out of active injury,
but in anticipation of future harm.
He believes that done once,
an action will repeat itself,
given the chance.
I love my father,
and all the more for his
sheltering arm
against heavy storms.
But I am young,
and I must hurt
and see all the world for me.
He knows this unknowingly,
and grudges but gives my peace.
I can love freely,
and for this I love him all the more.

No comments: